Michelle-Phan-Book

I feel really silly.

I have been blogging for seven years. I would like to think I am up with the times when it comes to the newest fashion and beauty gurus. But for some bizarre cosmic twilight zone explanation I am not one of the one billion viewers of Michelle Phan’s incredible videos on YouTube. Huh!??! I know what you’re thinking…what rock did I crawl in? My thoughts exactly! How could I miss this? How could I not know about her?

As it turns out my ignorance may very well work well in my favor in conducting a completely unbiased, not-a-fan-or-follower, totally learning everything about her from the get-go type of review. And how did the read turn out so far? I have to say hands down OUTSTANDING. Yes, in all capital letters.

Michelle is a phenomenon and her fun, conversational, semi-autobiographical book narrates that. Now do not think you will expect this girl to be hedonistic in telling her story. On the contrary she comes off very self-deprecating, humble, gracious, and very thankful for the blessings that have come her way. And for that I highly recommend all moms of teenagers to buy this book for their daughters.

Why? Because here is a person revered in beauty expertise by teen girls (note: I am almost positive these teens are already following her videos!) but they can also learn a thing or two on her personal story. She does not come out condescending, but rather very sisterly in relating how she triumphed and learned from her experience from family life, finding her identity among her peers, and facing hardships and trials in her still very young life.

But what about the Makeup and Style tips? After all, isn’t what this book is all about? It’s chalk-full of it, from skincare, makeup basics, nails, hair, and fashion tips. And Michelle does not stop there. She gives advice on entrepreneurship, mannerisms, professional conduct, and digital correspondence. These are things she  learned along the way from starting out as a YouTube sensational beauty guru, Lancome spokesperson, business collaborator with Google, endorser of her own cosmetic line from L’Oreal, and business owner of Ipsy, a monthly subscription of beauty products. And she is only 27 years old!

Michelle-Phan-Book-Cover Here are the book’s particulars:

Title: Michelle Phan Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success Online and Off

Author: Michelle Phan

Publisher’s Synopsis:

Michelle Phan has believed in makeup since the first time she was allowed to try eyeliner. When she looked in the mirror and saw a transformed version of herself looking back, she fell in love with the sense of confidence that makeup could give her. Ever since she posted her first makeup tutorial on YouTube, she has dedicated herself to inspire millions by using makeup as a tool for transformation and self expression.

Now, Michelle has compiled all of her best wisdom into Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success–Online and Off. From creating a gorgeous smoky eye to understanding contouring to developing an online persona, Michelle has advice to help you transform every facet of your life. Make Up is packed with Michelle’s trademark beauty and style tutorials, stories and pictures from her own life, and advice on the topics she is asked about most, including etiquette, career, entrepreneurship, and creativity. From the everyday (such as how to get glowing skin) to the big picture (such as how to turn your passion into a profession), Make Up is a practical and empowering resource to help anyone put their best face forward.

About the Author: Michelle Phan is a digital pioneer, entrepreneur, and award-winning content creator who is the driving force behind multiple businesses in the beauty and entertainment industry. With a focus on empowering the next generation, Michelle encourages her community to use makeup as a tool for transformation and confidence building. She splits her time between Los Angeles and New York City.

So are you sold? I hope so! This is a book that is not only instructional, but inspirational too! After reading it, I just had to search her videos in YouTube to catch up on what I have been missing all these years! Here is one of my favorite tutorials called Payne’s Grey Smokey Eyes:

Disclosure: Thank you to Blogging for Books for the opportunity to do this review.

75 Responses to Michelle Phan Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success Online and Off

1. Yaitza says:

7 years? WOW! love Michelle, I think she was the first youtuber I ever watched for make up… need to check out the book!

2. I’m not really up on beauty guru’s and I honestly only heard of her through ipsy but I think it’s amazing the brand she was able to make for herself thanks to Youtube! It really goes to show that you’re in charge of making your dreams come true <3

3. Danielle K says:

I think I’ve seen a few of her videos, but definitely need to check out the book!

4. tara pittman says:

I need to learn her tips on make up. I fail in that department.

5. Jayda says:

I could totally use the help. Those smokey eyes look gorgeous.

6. thatmamagretchen says:

So happy she has YouTube videos too!

7. Yes.. as a 30 something i need to get my act together in that department. Love beauty books.

8. Emily says:

I keep meaning to read her book but I just haven’t gotten around to it! I’m glad to hear you liked it!

9. alyssa says:

I see that book in the bookstore I work in and I always wonder if it’s any good. I may have to check it out. 🙂

10. I really fail at anything having to do with makeup. I poke my eyes, I can’t blend, and my skin is so bad that makeup makes it look even worse. I wish I could do things like this!

11. Heather says:

Great review! I love that you were totally unbiased! 🙂 I discovered her through ipsy and love her videos but this was fun to read! 🙂

12. I’ve been watching Michelle Phan for YEARS! I love her tutorials!

13. Great review. I knew of Michelle but only a little bit from I think magazine interviews. She’s great though.

14. upliftingfam says:

I really need this book. I don’t wear make up very often and need help.

15. rockky says:

thanks for sharing … great review !

16. Jess says:

I actually learned about blogs/started blogging after watching a ton of beauty gurus on youtube. I love Michelle!!

17. You’re not alone. I didn’t know Michelle either. Have a lovely weekend.

18. Love it! Looks like a fantastic book!! <3

19. Isn’t Michelle Phan amazing? I’ve been watching YouTube videos for years and years (and even made my own channel once, but I decided I’m way better on a blog than in front of a camera – awkwardly).

Totally agree Nancy! She is amazing indeed and has accomplished so much at such a young age.
      I too wondered how it’ll be if I tried videos. Funny that I shouldn’t be conscious bec. I used to anchor the news and do TVCs…but I don’t know what it would be like if I did tutorials. I feel more comfy writing about it. Haha!

20. Andi says:

She is gorgeous! I will definitely check out the book!

21. Claire says:

I adore Michelle Phan! She is so talented!

I totally agree Claire! What few people know is that she is a Fine Arts student, a maven at fashion illustrations, etc. But I don’t want to give too much away. Her story is so interesting..the book is a must read! 🙂

22. Holy cow, 7 years?! That is amazing. I have never heard of her before. I will have to check that out. I really need help with some of that stuff.

23. Tanya Coffman says:

To be honest…I check out make up blogs frequently but nothing ever sticks. This was a great video and I really am going to check out this book! 😀

24. Icar says:

Thank you for introducing her! Just the best time for me to have discovered her so that I will be able to watch her videos and learn something I should have a long time ago-about make up!

25. Regina says:

I’d not heard of Michele either until your post, so that makes two of us! 🙂 She looks like she has some great advice about beauty..I’ll have to check her out.

26. I love her videos! They are so well put together, I am sure her book is the same!

27. Jess says:

I think her videos are so fun! I haven’t tried her makeup line but I hear it’s great. I’ll have to pick up her book soon too!

28. Anita Chu says:

I’ve heard of Michelle but haven’t seen her videos – what an inspiration to all bloggers and women! Glad that you enjoyed her book!

29. I’ve heard of her, but never really paid much attention to her videos. I feel like I don’t appreciate the beauty blogging community enough!

Katie <3

30. She sounds amazing! I’m excited to check out her book. I haven’t seen her videos, but I might have to check them out now. 🙂

31. Rebekah says:

I’m very torn on her… her videos are very well put together – but she talks aaaaalot and sometimes I just want to get to the makeup. She has done amazing things for herself though!

Thanks for your input Rebekah. She certainly has evolved through the years. But I do like the creative aspect of her videos, from the music to the light effects. Very well put together compared to some 🙂

32. 4rmpartygirltoprayingwoman says:

I’ve seen her videos, she is talented. I like that she’s trying to send a positive image out. Lord knows our teen girls need someone to do this.

I completely agree! Ms. Pham really tries to use her platform of success to send out a positive image. I recommended this book to teens because they can learn from her autobiographical story and it is empowering. Michelle was not a makeup artist. She was a fine arts student struggling to find ways to pay for her tuition fee. Her book covers the lessons she learned and how she never gave up.

33. I’ve seen some of her stuff, she is great!

34. my friend talks about her all the time and this is the first video I have ever watched of hers.

35. I haven’t actually watched any of her videos either – though obviously I’ve heard of her and occasionally read her blog – but now I’ll have to read her book! Sounds like a good one.