Happy Valentine’s Day!

On this special occasion you may be receiving a beautiful bouquet of flowers from your loved ones. Why not find a way to preserve them so you can enjoy their beauty for many years to come?

This DIY Dried Roses Bouquet was actually from a beautiful arrangement of a violet blue roses that my husband surprised me with on my birthday a few months ago. They were so captivating with such a unique hue that I pondered what I could do to keep their beauty intact. I decided to dry them before they went into full bloom.

There are varying techniques of drying flowers. You can use a microwave, a dehydrator, or simply do it the old-fashion way, which is to ‘air-dry’. I  definitely prefer the latter and have enjoyed converting flower petals into either potpourri or showcasing them in display boxes. But this time, I wanted to use this pretty glass vase I bought from Ikea, which only cost me $3.99.

Here’s what I did:

(1) I gathered the roses, removed any leaves and foliage, and laid them out in a line and waited about a week to dry. I made sure I kept them in an area where they would not be disturbed (i.e. my sometimes naughty #CalicoKiwi is so fond of nibbling on the petals!) and are far from the sun’s rays (this helps ensure they preserve their color).

20140720-225529-82529091.jpg

(2) After the roses have completely dried (they look fantastic with their beautiful color and their shape was definitely preserved!) I measured the length of the vase and cut the roses to that exact length.

20140720-225529-82529037.jpg

(3) I took the excess stem and placed them inside the vase (never throw anything you can use!). By doing this I create the illusion of a thick bouquet. Then I added the flowers one at a time, with their stems intertwined.

20140720-225528-82528982.jpg

(4) And voila! Here’s the results:

20140720-225528-82528930.jpg

Now I can enjoy these flowers for many years!

I use mine to accentuate the jewelry tray in my Blogging and Keep Collective Office. Occasionally I also use to add ambiance whenever I host a tea party.

This dried roses bouquet looks so pretty that I do believe I will try this simple craft again (I guess we will have to see if the Hubby still gives me flowers!).

20140720-225528-82528876.jpg

There are many ways you can create a dried floral accent.

Some of the helpful tips are:

• Instead of laying them flat, try hanging them to dry using dental floss or rubber bands. You can also use a metal-wire hanger to tie the strings to.
  • Spray the dried up florals with a non-scented hairspray
  • When using rectangular-shaped vases, try piercing the stems of the roses onto a floral craft green foam. This will help them stand up.
  • When using round shaped vase without a narrow stem, follow the same instructions, but tie a ribbon or use a brown wire wrap to hold the flowers in place.

Have you tried drying roses before? Or what are your other techniques for preserving flowers? Do share your ideas, tips, and personal stories!

33 Responses to Dried Roses Bouquet

1. growingupmomma says:

I have so many memories of my mom drying special bouquets- some of my flower girl ones and one for a wedding come specifically to mind. She used to hang them upside down for a week or so- I’m not sure what the difference is between the two methods, but either way the results are gorgeous! I love how you displayed them as well. I always tell my fiance to not waste money on getting me flowers because they die way too quick, but I may have to retract that statement after seeing how beautifully you used them here!

Thank you so much for your feedback! My late grandma Lory (who was a florist) got me into the idea of drying flowers. She even dipped them in gold! It was amazing! I think I will have to try that technique one of these days.
      I know what you mean about not wasting money on flowers. That is why I am so happy to be using the tips of other DIY bloggers because drying them has really preserved their beauty. Proud to say I still have the very first bouquet that my hubby gave me. It’s in an enclosed glass frame with the dedication card. 🙂

2. I have a single rose that I dried and pressed in a book many years ago, and I still adore it because of the special significance. What you have done with your bouquet is beautiful.

3. krystaprice says:

I love keeping my older flowers around in either a vase or a scrap book to remind me of a special moment. Your purple flowers on that jewelry tray are beautiful and they really POP with color even after they have dried! Great ideas and little tips… thanks!

4. I have not tried drying my own flowers, although I do like the idea of enjoying them for a much longer period of time. I saw some gorgeous roses at Costco this week and might need to pick up a bunch to test this on. They just aren’t the beautiful color of roses that you have or our tray.

Thanks you Laura! I love Costco flowers! I buy my blooms over there a lot and I am happy that the vendors that Costco uses are very good because the flowers last a long time! But you are right. They do not have the same kind of color that my hubby gave me. I really love that hue.

5. This is such a creative idea! I love the colour, and way you used something “dead” come alive again!

Thank you! Yes! It is definitely a way to preserve the beauty. I know flowers are still more beautiful when they are still fresh, but still the drying process at least perpetually reminds you of how beautiful they were. 🙂

6. My mom recently passed on and I have the roses from her services. I will use the tips above to make a DIY dried Rose bouquet in memory of her. btw, your bouquet is beautiful.

7. I have a few myself that my husband gave me that I have kept especially my wedding bouquet. I think the style of your vase helps too because it’s nice and high and the fragile flowers do not crumble.

You are absolutely right! The style of the vase certainly helps! But for as long as you cut near the rim of the vase and bunch them together it will help support the shape of the dried flowers. I have tried this technique with rectangular vases and it worked. 🙂

8. Nancy says:

Unfortunately I doubt my husband will be forking out the $10 to get me some flowers tomorrow, hahaha. I’ll be happily surprised if he does. He thinks they’re a complete waste of money, but I try to tell him otherwise! In the 10 years we have been together, he bought me flowers once (last September) when I was away for 5 weeks and came home. Guess he really did miss me!

9. Pauline C. says:

Oh, this is something new… I haven’t received dried roses before, but I think it’s an awesome gift idea since you can preserve it for memories. Hmmm maybe I can expect something like this later? Hehe!

10. I LOVE the idea of drying flowers, though I’ve never done it, I’d really like to now! What a beautiful color those roses are <3

11. Hmmm, this is something I have never heard of before! I always hated getting flowers because they would die and end up in the trash. But this is very interesting. I don’t think I would doit because I still am not a huge fan of flowers but I will have to share this with those who do love their flowers!!! =P

12. Those look quite lovely. What a great pop of blue.

13. Julie says:

I absolutely love the vibrant color of those flowers! Maybe if I get some tomorrow I can give this a try. Thanks!

14. Natalie says:

These are really beautiful, I wish I could keep flowers alive long enough for them to have time to get dry. Instead they die before hand, haha. But I am really loving the shade of these blue ones. It would be fun to do with the kids.

15. Lisa Rios says:

Such a great idea to preserve flowers & enjoy them for many years, particularly the ones we receive from our loved ones. These Violet blue roses are looking fabulous & I love you turned in to a Floral Bouquet.

16. How pretty! I’ve always wanted to know how to do this but never really took the time to figure it out! I will definitely be doing this with my next bouquet of flowers 🙂 Thanks so much for this!

17. I have a single rose my now husband left for me 7 years ago… amazingly dried perfectly and intact, even after several moves!

18. i use to hang them upside down when i dried roses. 🙂 i love the violet blue colored roses. i guess i’m not much of a flower person, so i’ve never seen those before.. but love these so much more than red roses. even though i wasn’t happy with my wedding bouquet, i wish i had them preserved.

19. Geanine says:

What a beautiful way to preserve a special moment in time

20. I have a dehydrator and never would have thought that I could dry flowers with it. And, I really NEVER would have thought the microwave could dry flowers (that’s really interesting). I would prefer air-drying too – the color of your roses is gorgeous.

21. Whoa, I love this and the color is amazing!

22. teamwiking says:

I’ve never been much into drying flowers, but that color is crazy! My sister dries hers by hanging them upside down. Do you find the shape is still ok when you dry them flat?

jessica

23. Oh my goodness! I never would have thought to keep the extra stem pieces and use them as well. What a difference it made! Thanks for the tip.

24. Oh my this is such a neat idea. I like it. It is so beautiful. I love it! I wish I could have thought about it as well, hahA!

25. Fi Ní Neachtáin says:

Such a beautiful little bouquet. I absolutely love the colour of those roses, I wish I could find ones like those here in Ireland!

26. Lix H. says:

This is fascinating. I actually have a bouquet of white roses that are completely dry by now and I can’t bear to throw away because they actually still look nice? Even though I didn’t do anything to them other than not put them in water or feed them because I was going through a depressive episode when I got them, sigh.