succulentarr

In my book review of Debra Lee Baldwin’s Succulents Simplified, I mentioned how I was inspired by the creativity and simplicity of her DIY tutorials on creating a beautiful succulents arrangement. It surprised me how very easy it was that anyone (even those without a green thumb like yours truly!) can do it!

Now in case you your copy of her book in on the way and you are excited to get started, here’s is my own photo-tutorial on how I created my little oasis of Cactus, Echeverias, Aloe, and Aeoniums into one simple terracota pot.

Materials:

• Various succulents and cacti plants you can get in the nursery, Home Depot, Orchards, or even a friend who grows them!
  • Smooth Stones used for gardening
  • Cactus Mix potting soil
  • Hand Trowel
  • 1 piece of Coffee Filter

Instructions:

First Step: Select Your Succulents! Contrary to normal assumptions, succulents come in varied colors! I chose a green aloe, yellow Echeverias, a colored Cacti of Pink and Purple, and light green Aeoniums with my arrangement. I bought a small bag of smooth gardening stones (you can use decorative glass stones or marbles too!). And I got a medium size terracota pot with approximately 4 inches of depth.

succulents2

Second Step: Place the coffee filter over the hole of the terracota pot. This prevents soil from going through the hole, but it does not prevent water from seeping through.

succulents1

Step Three: Fill half the pot with the organic cactus mix. This special mix has grounded gravel, which makes it easy for the plant to drain out the water. This is helpful because it helps prevent root rot, which is common among succulents when one over-waters them.

succulents3

Step Four: Begin arranging small pieces of the succulents onto the pot. Fill up the empty spaces with soil.

succulents4

Step Five: After filing in the pot with succulents, fill the empty spaces where soil is exposed with the gardening or decorative. This stones. This also helps drain out the water and it adds a finishing touch to your arrangement!

succulents5

And voila! You have created your very own succulent arrangement!

succulents6

I enjoyed doing this so much that I decided to make an identical one with the colored purple cactus. This one will be for my daughter, who loves that hue!

succulents7

56 Responses to Create Your Succulent Oasis in a Pot

1. I think that looks really cool. I think a display like that would look awesome out on my deck this spring.

2. That is so cool! I’ve never heard of using a coffee filter for planting before, and I love how it came out. It’s really beautiful.

3. I was just telling my Hubs that I need to grow a cactus. We travel so much that plants die when I am gone. I think a cactus could survive.

4. growingupmomma says:

I love the arrangement you made! It’s beautiful and would look great outside for the warmer months.

5. Alli says:

I didn’t realize I needed a special cactus potting mix, so I’m glad I learned something today. Your succulent arrangement is beautiful and I really like that pop of purple in your second pot. I would love to do something like this for my porch. So pretty!

6. It’s so pretty, I’ve been meaning to do this for a long time.

7. Fi Ni Neachtain says:

Awh this looks so beautiful! I love having lots of different plants in one pot. This is such a lovely idea for the new bucket pots I have to put outside my front door 🙂

8. blessedelements says:

I love your design. My husband is a potter and we grew a lot of cactus one year and he threw some pots on the wheel and I did the decorating. It was lots of fun and great gifts for people who think they kill there plants. Cactus has a tendency to survive. I’d like to get this book as I’m sure there are more great ideas to nurture creativity.

9. roselynn787 says:

So many different plants, I’m envious because I have no green thumb whatsoever. If I ever want plants around the house I have to go out and buy them every year because they seriously die on me all the time.

10. Thanks so much for sharing your tips. I just planted several succulent gardens in pots and I wish I had read your coffee filter tip prior to planting them because I sure made a mess with the dirt coming out of the holes. I’ll be sure to use a coffee filter with my next ones.

11. Jeanine says:

Wow how lovely! I would love to do this
    It looks very nice and even I couldn’t mess this up… I don’t think!

12. Jamie says:

I never knew these plants could be so colorful! I love the step by step directions for those of us that don’t always have a green thumb!

13. This is so cool! I need to get some and do this with my kids! I am pinning!

14. That is so lovely! I love all things plants, flowers, springtime, all makes me happy. I want to make one of these. =)

15. ctcarra says:

I like the smaller one would be perfect to put on a shelf. Though Im scared my cats would mess it up lol

16. krystaprice says:

I love your design here! It is so cute, natural and simple! It looks fantastic and I think it could be a fun, hands on job for my daughter and I to do together! Thank you!

17. Liz Mays says:

I love the unique look of cacti and other succulents. I’d really like to try this and have some of my own.

18. Very beautiful! We did a mini one for the kids. They loved it placing their toys in it.

19. Paula Schuck says:

These look fantastic. They would make a amazing gift. I will have to make some up for my house.

20. alocalwander says:

These are beautiful and I would never have imagined to put them in such a small pot. I’m definitely going to try it! Thanks for the tip on the coffee filter and also explaining the root rot from overwatering. I think that has happened to me many many times.

21. Wow! That is so colorful! I have two thumbs but neither one of them are green. I would have to turn a project like this over to my husband!

22. HilLesha says:

Succulents are one of my favorites. Not only they’re beautiful, but they’re so easy to take care of – perfect for those who don’t exactly have a green thumb!

That’s a really beautiful arrangement! I have never seen succulents in a pot before this…

24. joseph says:

I like the arrangement a lot. I love the cactus plants. Presently, I only have plastic plants in my home and would love to have some real plants around. The arrangements displayed are the types of plants I would like to have. I think this spring I will put a live plant in my home. Thanks for sharing!

25. Russ R. says:

I think this is really nice. I love the colors you put together, looks refreshing and it could be a perfect gift. And, I’m jealous – because I get these allergic reactions to plants so I can’t really make one of these even if I want to 🙁

26. I saw succulent in the link and immediately thought of food, lol! You know where my mind is!! ahah! This is so pretty!!!

27. I love succulent plants, they are very easy to maintain and take care of. This reminds me to build up a bigger selection in a pot this year.

28. So pretty! I’ve never tried to make a succulent planter, but have been tempted. Not sure which ones would be safe around my cats though.

29. Nikki says:

That is so pretty! I am horrible at gardening, but I think I could manage this. I love your easy tutorial. I didn’t know that aloe plants were called succulents. I had an aloe plant once named Oscar. He lived longer than most of my plants. Alas, I managed to kill him, too. I’ve gotten better though, that was like 15 years ago. I’m ready to try again!

30. I want to try succulents. I don’t have much of a green thumb but I seem to get a little better every year. These are so pretty.

31. I LOVE succulents!!! This has definitely been something that I have been wanting to do but so intimidated to try because I honestly don’t think I would have any luck with it. Thank you for making this look so simple and doable.

32. Paulina says:

I love this post and I love succulents. I purchased some last year and they actually survived the winter. I was very impressed with myself. I love your though makes me want to add to my little succulent garden since I didn’t kill them yet I should add more.

33. That is so simple and gorgeous! I really need to get myself some succulents this year! Thank you for the inspiration!

34. justamom8225 says:

My grandparents always had succulents so whenever I see them, I think of them. I just might have to start these this year.

35. Jessica says:

I love this Cara! The way you combined the colors really made everything come together in a beautiful way. We actually have those green plants and have had them for years, so I might go out and try this later.

36. I love your photos! I probably won’t do plants but I’ll probably plant some veggies this year in pots.

37. Krystal says:

I do love a good succulent!! This is so simple but absolutely beautiful.

38. Beautiful! I love succulents and especially love them as centerpieces or decor!

39. I have never tried to plant succulants, but would love to try. The coffee filter idea is super genius.

40. Adrienne says:

How neat is this! I am always looking for new ways to get creative in the garden. I like how simple this is, but I also like how it looks so beautiful that I’ll appear to be a master gardener. lol (o;

41. I love this. I’m terrible with plants and flowers so I rarely attempt anything. But I like the succulents and how it turned out. Seems easy enough, so I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

42. hezzid says:

This is so pretty! I have a porch where I would love to put a few plants and this is something that would grow there. I love how you put it together and how the pot is overflowing with plants.

43. Melissa says:

I love your tips for planting succulents. They are one of my favorite plants and they remind me of my Granny. She always had hens and chicks in an old boot. I may try my hand with your tutorial.

44. Ah! I love it! I was just talking about putting some succulents in my bedroom, this is just perfect timing!

45. yumeating says:

These are cute. We have a fairy garden inside the house and these would be perfect for that. Kiddo would love them.

46. Great job on the arrangement. Cacti are great also because they are so hardy. I like that they remind me of a summer spent in arizona as a kid.

47. Aisha Kristine Chong says:

Oh gosh, I wish I could make that as well – truly wonderful how it was done!

48. After seeing all this, I want to make one of these so bad. I think it’s fairly easy to accomplish and would add such an intriguing look to a room. It also looks like a fun to do.

49. Lynndee says:

So pretty indeed! I’ve always loved looking at succulents whenever we go the garden store but never bought me one. I might this year. 🙂

50. Myrabev says:

oh wow this is really pretty, you have done such an amazing job. I absolutely love the arrangement, I do love succulents but never been a plant person

51. Omg I totally love this!!!! Im trying to get more into plants and gardening and this would be awesome to have!!!

52. mmgmom says:

This is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had a green thumb.

53. Rosey says:

I’d like to get some succulents here. They seem to last a lot longer and be easier to take care of than traditional greens.

54. That looks awesome! Very simple too. Succulents are soo much easier to manage too. That’s definitely a plus in my book.

55. Camesha says:

Those look so pretty. I can totally see having something like these in our backyard. We need to add some life back there!

56. Kiwi says:

I think this is a great idea! I would love to make this and have some outside decor!