You’ve seen me do it! Baking is a new hobby I recently picked up. My try at it is a perfect example that it is never to late to start something new!

So if you always wanted to try your hand at baking, I highly encourage it! It’s a fun and quite therapeutic activity!

Here’s some tips to help you get started:

1. Try a FREE Craftsy Baking class!

Craftsy is an online classroom platform dedicated to honing baking, quilting, photography, sewing, and other creative skills. I have tried a couple of their  classes and I love it! The pace is just right for beginners and the instructors are all very eloquent and exceptional. My favorites are Jessica Harris and Joshua John Russell!

But before I committed to the paying sessions, I certainly availed of the free classes! There’s no fees, yet you learn cool classes such as Modern Butter CreamBasic Fondant Techniquesmaking a Hand Painted Cake. Let’s just say these session got me on my way to making my own fondant cakes!

2. Read up on Erin Gardner’s Great Cake Decorating: Hundreds of Creative Ideas, Tips, and Techniques.

cakebook

I had an opportunity to do an advance reader’s copy review of this book and I really enjoyed it! The author give very simple techniques, yet once you put it all together the result is amazing! The recent lemon fondant cake I made for my Aunt Rose followed Erin’s techniques on quilted fondant and dotted decorating. They were simple yet it allowed me to explore a new way of embellishing my cakes!

Here’s the Book Synopsis:

Whether you are a bride on a budget, a mom baking for a birthday, a cook who needs to control added ingredients, or just want to celebrate a special event with a fresh, delicious cake, this book has something for you.
Author and pastry chef Erin Gardner is famous for her unique designs and cake decorating skill. In these pages, she demonstrates professional techniques for creating beautiful, custom-made cakes that are also completely delicious. From how to make mouthwatering, homemade buttercream to molding gorgeous fondant flowers and bows, Erin’s detailed, step-by-step instructions offer home cooks all the decorating know-how they need. She also presents a host of secrets and shortcuts for dressing up plain cakes in absolutely no time—try her fruit Rollup trick for pretty cake flowers that can be made in a flash. Throughout the book, Erin shows time-pressed cooks how to improve upon well-known cake decorating techniques.

3. Start a Pinterest Board

Interestingly this is how I got started into honing this new found hobby in baking. It started with my Yummylicious Cuppies board. And then I started thinking, “Why can’t I give it a try?” And I did! Now I have another board called Fondant Cakes and Baking Tutorials This is really social media working at its best! Through the masterpieces of others I was able to nurture a new hobby by being inspired.

4. Join the Cake Central Community!

This is an awesome place to collaborate, get tips, and share ideas. And they have free tutorials too! Check out the Tiny Fondant Tea Set Cake Top or Cupcake Topper, which I am planning to make on my next tea party! And if you think a covering a square cake with fondant is challenging, follow this simple instructions on how to do it flawlessly!

26 Responses to Want to Bake?

1. All of your ideas are so right on. I need to try at least one of these options. Decorating a cake very beautifully is on my bucket list.
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

2. Gorgeous cakes! I loved your review. Thank you for sharing this and your tips, too.

3. I love making cakes and cooking! I will have to look into this for sure! Thank you for posting!

4. Cynthia l says:

I have taken a few classes from Craftsy. They are so great. I love being able to go back and watch them over and over again.

5. inmyprime50 says:

I feel so inspired to try some cake decorating. I used to bake a lot more. It is labor intensive, but so much fun.

I am a much better baker than cook. I need to make another Pinterest board just for desserts.

I love baking, but there are some recipes that I can’t seem to master, at least not at the moment. It would definitely take time and practice. I’m really curious about that book, I would love to see what techniques I can use!

8. For me, baking is hard, really hard. Thanks for the ideas and tips! I need to check that book out!

9. Loving your ideas!!!! I’m a fantastic cook, but when it comes to baking ughhh… I will admit blogging has helped my baking a bite, but still, it needs work. I so need a class lol

There have been ads for this baking class everywhere. Thank you for breaking it all down for us! Looks like fun.

11. whisktangofox says:

I pin baking recipes all of the time but I am just the worst baker! Haha. I have gotten much better this past year but I would say 50% of my baking attempts turn out horribly.

12. Baking is my thing and you really shared great tips! Keep it up! Glad you shared this.

13. onceuponadollhouse says:

What a great book. We LOVE baking at the dollhouse – we have a pink kitchen aid mixer to do all the hard stuff.

14. Katie Garvin says:

I’ve always been a big baker. Cooking is a necessity, but baking is pure FUN! Sometimes I even bake and send the goodies with my husband to work — it’s too much for us to eat, but I just get a hankering to bake something, and so the results get shared with the people we know. Which they always like 😉

15. I absolutely love baking and I’m definitely going to have to try that book! I’m always interested in learning new tricks!

Baking is something I really wish that I was good at because it would be such a great skill to have. Someday I hope I will be good at baking!

17. Diz Fam says:

I don’t particularly LOVE baking but I do it and I am pretty good. One of the best things I did was take a basic cupcake decorating class. It is a life skill that has saved me a few times!

When it comes to baking I am no good so a class would do me good. I’m good at making cupcakes but I’m usually amazed at some of the stuff I’ve seen. Talent galore!

19. I LOVE Craftsy classes! I have taken some photography ones and I really loved them!

20. kancell724 says:

I like the idea of baking and eating it of course. I’m not very good at it so I keep it pretty simple.

21. Stacey says:

Oh – I love to bake and this book looks like it has some great tips! I have never tried making fondant – maybe one day.

22. I keep wanting to try one of the craftsy baking classes. I’m just not sure if I’d like it over one in person.

23. RonRon says:

Great ideas! That PINTEREST BOARD mention is so true. They can all get you started with baking journey.

24. MY love for baking comes and goes. Sometimes I find it enjoying bu-t most of the time, NOT!

25. Pinterest is so huge for me and finding recipes. I couldn’t live without it! Baking is a great entry point for general cooking too. Cookies are just a good place to start.

26. I always look for new ideas and baking tips on pinterest. I should also try looking into those baking classes!