img_6192

Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP is setting up a pop up shop from May 5 to May 22!

I love San Francisco!

And although I am a bay area resident I do not often get the opportunity to walk the streets of downtown, explore the new shops, or even witness the bustling activities of the mundane events.

So when an opportunity to speak in a business conference came up, wherein my accommodations at the Grand Hyatt on Stockton Street was being sponsored, I could not pass up the chance!

It was certainly a career accolade to be a presenter, but I cannot deny the gleeful idea of being able to stay four days in the metropolis, knowing a flight down the elevator would be a stone’s throw away from Union Square.

And I would be able to enjoy all this with my sister Cai, who flew in from Manila to visit and will be on route to NYC in a few weeks as she makes it her new home.

On our first day, after checking in at the hotel and having our early lunch, we decided to explore the shopping havens along Market Street.

During our traipse, I recalled a special event of Gwyneth Patrow’s GOOP from a newsletter her online publication sends to my email. I checked her website and found out I was right! A GOOP Pop Up shop was being sent up in San Francisco!

img_6178

I mentioned this to my sister and asked if she wanted to visit the GOOP store since it will be gone by May 22. She said, “Ofcourse!”

I forgot Cai is also a fan of Gwyneth’s GOOP and the lifestyle features is right along her alley since she herself is a magazine editor and writer (in case you are curious, my sister’s line up of articles are found here: http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/bylines/cai-subijano and she spearheaded the launch of PREEN and SCOUT online magazines).

Using our reliable Google Maps, we followed directions towards Maiden Lane, which was at the corner of Grant and Geary Streets.

img_6173

goop MRKT is in a Frank Llyod Wright building on Maiden Lane in San Francisco.

There we saw the famous Frank Lloyd Wright landmark with the flag sign with bold letter ‘goop MRKT‘.

As soon as we walked in we let out a breath of awe. The first word that came to mind is impeccable!

The pop up shop was smartfully set up by San Francisco interior designer Stephen Volpe.

It had a modern yet minimalist style with each curated sales display reflecting Gwyneth Paltrow’s pristine, artful, and indubitably luxurious taste.

The first thing I noticed was the stacked of Gwyneth Paltrow’s cook books in the corner. She has a new publication recently released entitled, “It’s All Easy:  Delicious Weekday Recipes for the Super-Busy Home Cook.

Normally I would buy my copy on Amazon, but if I could get a signed copy from Ms. Paltrow, I would certainly pay the retail of $35! I asked for one, but unfortunately they did not have any even though Gwyneth was at the store a week early during a book-signing event! I can’t believe I missed that! I happen to have all of Gwyneth’s books! Oh well!

I followed my sister to the beauty aisle. There on display were an array of recommended products by GOOP, along with the newly released GOOP by Juice Beauty skin care line.

On my blog newsfeed GOOP featured a selection of clean sunscreens and I was curious about the Drunken Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Defense SPF 30. When I tried it I was impressed! I will definitely buy one once my tube of Honest Company 30 SPF is used up.

We explored every nook and cranny of the goop MRKT pop up shop, from the skincare counters, the kitchen display, fashion racks, all the way to the books on display.

Here are some of the photographs I took with my iPhone, edited using A Beautiful Mess’ Colorstory App:

We enjoyed our visit to goop MRKT but admittedly did not purchase any of the beautiful items. They are undoubtedly elegant but the prices were steep. But I already knew that. Much has been written about it. It did not bother me though because the intent of my visit was to get a first-hand glimpse of the GOOP lifestyle. Was I inspired? Absolutely! But I know exactly where I can find GOOP-like items that are a mere fraction of price. And there is nothing wrong with that. I bet GOOP would even flattered.

70 Responses to A Visit to GOOP in San Francisco

1. What??? You aren’t going to share where to get the products cheaper? Heavens. The shop is gorgeous! I’d like to see a copy of that cookbook.

2. Jeanette says:

Sad to say I have never heard of GOOP! I love checking out places though, it looks like such an awesome office! The cookbook looks like something just up my alley!

3. I have never heard of GOOP. It’s beautiful place but bit much for my bank account.

I have to admit that while navigating through the online shop most of the items were priced on the high end. I think I am okay with the cookbooks and the apothecary stuff that they recommend.

4. I’ve got to check out GOOP MRKT although I do like saving money when I can. All of your photos are really beautiful and this sounds so interesting.

5. Jacqui Odell says:

I love that design!! They did such a great job setting it up.

6. Mrs. AOK says:

It looks so pretty inside GOOP 🙂 I wouldn’t expect anything less from Ms. Paltrow. I love that your sister was able to come along with you and that she’s moving to the states… closer to you! Shorter flight.
    XO

7. Looks like you had a great time in San Francisco – so many great things to be done!

8. Alison says:

I would have loved to see that pop up shop! It looked beautiful and would have been even better to meet Gwyneth! What a fun day!

9. Jamie says:

I am not up on a “pop up” store…but hey I live in Kansas! Looks like cool stuff, but pricey! I would love to visit San Francisco someday!

10. I love the design of the building and the space. I have to admit I would be curious to see all the goodies they had on display, even though the prices had to be out of control. I have heard good things about GP’s new cookbook.

I just ordered the book and its signed! And I didn’t have to pay a premium price for it…it’s the same price as what’s on the Goop MRKT shop, which is $35. Yay!

I’ve been hearing good things about her products but I’ve never had the chance to try them myself. I love that it’s all natural, it’s very good for sensitive skin.

Me too! Her skincare has been receiving rave reviews. The sampler/discovery set is $125 and I am thinking about it. It’s over my price range but I am curious about it.

12. Liz Mays says:

The shop itself is so pretty. I love the furniture and how everything is arranged. I haven’t tried any of the products yet!

13. Oh my gosh, what an incredible place! I love the bay area and would love to visit that shop!

14. Adriana says:

How beautiful is this! I love the set up, everything is gorgeous inside!

15. It looks so beautiful in there! I’ll have to put it on my list of places to visit!

16. Nikki says:

I have never heard of the Goop before. The store is amazing. Too bad this is closing soon.

17. looks like you had an awesome trip in San Francisco. Glad you share this

Oh how exciting!! Everything is so beautiful it’s like a work of art! I want to go live there…free from the kid clutter and finger prints of my current decor. 😉

19. We have a lot of pop up stores showing up in Canada. Hopefully there will be a GOOP one soon!

20. Wow! That is somewhere I would love to go and see in person! Great pictures!

21. Ryan Escat says:

Wow! Stunning photos you got there, never heard of Goop and I’m glad you share about it! This is now on my bucket list of destination.

I have heard of GOOP because of it’s owner but I don’t own any of their products and don’t think I ever will. It will be good to just go in and browse just to say that I went there. 🙂

23. OMG look at this office.Its absolutely stunning.I would love to work in a similer place.I never heard abut goop but looks great

24. I would certainly love to know where I could get these products cheaper too. It is really such a vibrant and beautiful place.

The stuff Goop has on display is inspiring. I do tend to find something similar but priced within my budget. For example similarly looking hand-crafted ceramic pieces can be canvassed at local artisans and fairs for probably under $50.

I would love to see what the Goop shop looks like. I don’t really see the site but hear a lot about it.

26. Oh this is so nice! I am in love with Goop and pop up shops! It seems like you had a great time!

27. I never heard of it before. I love the minimalist style throughout, but I don’t blame you for not purchasing anything. Their prices are way out of my budget.

The apothecary section has a lot of amazing beauty selections that are priced at retail. But I didn’t buy bec I have way too many beauty products at the moment ☺️

28. Kathy says:

That looks so beautiful! Sounds like an amazing place to go too. I’d love to check it out sometime. I’ve never been to San Francisco, but I’ve always wanted too.

29. Nicole Escat says:

Oh, it’s closing today? 🙁 I have never heard of the Goop before. This is a beautiful shop.

30. Denea says:

Goop looks amazing! I am from SF and never heard of this! I will have to check it out because its my style!

31. I’m so jealous you got to visit the shop. I have her It’s All Good cookbook and I’m waiting for the new one to arrive. Very cool.

Gloop looks like it has a lovely range of products but I am curious to know how much they are priced at. Judging by her clothing tastes its probably way out of my price range.

I would generally classify Goop on the pricier range, but it is always nicer to be inspired by their tasteful selections. I enjoy reading the feature articles of their site too goop.com. ☺️

33. This is such a beautiful shop, but it also looks expensive. Too bad I won’t be ale to see this.

34. Lisa Rios says:

I have never been to San Francisco, but it is one of my favorite places to visit with my husband. The shop looks amazing & I am just loving the way they have made the arrangements look so good as well.

35. This place looks very luxurious. What a great place to visit, without kids. 😉

36. Where have I been? I have never even heard of this! It sounds luxurious and the kind of place my husband would roll his eyes at. 😉

37. Whoever designed that structure is obviously someone with style. It really reflects on the quality of what it has to offer. I love Gwyneth, by the way!

38. Kiwi says:

You took this with your iphone?? I love a Beautiful Mess I didnt know they had an app called Colorstory I am gonna download it!

39. This place is amazing, the design is just breathe taking honestly. I couldn’t afford it, but it looks amazing.

40. wow how fun that you got to go here – I have heard of Goop but didn’t know where to find it. Love the packaging on those products too

41. Natalia says:

I read about the pop up! Haha I would totally have gone as wrll even thoihh I wouldnt be able to buy anything. Haha. Fun.

42. This is so fun! I would love to visit her pop up shop – she always has such interesting products online, it would be interesting to see what that would look like in a shop.

43. Melissa Bernardo says: