macaronIt’s not easy to get my favorite cookies, the french pastry ‘macaron’. For one thing my preferred vendor, Lette Macarons, is six hours away. So I decided to bake my own.

My first try was tasty but not aesthetically pleasing. It was flat and had no feet. So I searched on tips to get it right and took down notes.

My second try was getting better. The taste was delicious (the only new ingredient I added was the salt!), and the cookies rose to the shape of macarons, but it had very little feet and some of the tops had cracks because the layout of my parchment paper was uneven.

Goodness! These cookies are so finicky!

Finally, on my third try I got it right! Irresistible taste, the right shape, texture, and those adorable frilly feet that makes it unmistakably a macaron. Yay! Third time’s the charm after all.

Here’s sharing the recipe from various sources, but taking in the one that worked for me:

Ingredients:

• 3 Large Egg Whites
  • 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
  • Food Coloring Paste
  • 1 1/4 cups Confectioner’s (Powdered) Sugar
  • 1 Cup finely grounded Almonds or Almond Meal (Tip: Trader Joe’s carries Almond Meal or you can use a coffee grinder to ground the almonds, but make sure you don’t ground that the almond turns into a paste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt

Baking Supplies:

• Electric Mixer with whisk attachment
  • Mixing Bowls
  • 2 Cookie Sheets
  • Parchment Paper
  • Pastry Bag with 1/2 Inch Plain Tip attachment (Tip: You can use a Freezer Ziplock Bag)
  • Flour Sifter
  • Silicone Spatula
  • Measuring Cups
  • Pencil and a Round Circle Pattern (Tip: Use the plastic tape roll as your pattern)

Recipe:

1. Create circle patterns on your parchment paper. Make it dark enough so that it can be seen from the other side of the paper. Prepare the cookie sheets by placing the unmarked side of the parchment paper on top.

2. Sift the confectioner’s sugar, salt, and the grounded almonds or almond meal into a bowl.

3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Place it in a mixing bowl and use a mixer with the whisk attachment and mix it at medium speed (#6 speed on the KitchenAid Mixer). Start adding the granulated sugar a tablespoon at a time.

4. Whisk until  you see a glossy sheen.

macarons1

5. Start adding a couple of drops of food coloring into the mixture until you get your preferred color saturation.

6. Whisk until there is volume and you get a stiff peak.

7. Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer and add a portion of the sifted confectioner’s sugar and almond meal. Use a spatula to gently fold the mixture. Repeat with the rest of the sifted sugar and almond meal.

8. Once the mixture is incorporated and still has a ‘stiffness’ consistency, spoon it in a pastry bag with enough room to twist-close the top. Squeeze consistent amounts onto the cookie sheets using the circle patterns as your guide.

macarons2

9. After you filled the cookie sheets, tap them on your work surface a few times to remove the air bubbles. Baking experts say this is one technique to create the ‘foot’ of the cookie.

macarons3_edited-1

10. Let the macarons sit at room temperature between 25 to 30 mins. Baking experts strongly advise this step because it helps the cookie rise ‘upwards’ and not go flat. Use this time to preheat the oven to 300 degrees. After the wait time, bake the cookies for approximately 12 to 15 minutes (Tip: Bake one cookie sheet at a time to ensure they bake evenly).

11. When the cookies are done baking, take them out of the oven and leave them to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then pair up the similarly-sized cookies, place your favorite *filling on one side, and use the partner cookie to create a delectable sandwich. And voila! Your homemade macaron!

*filling – my favorites are tangy lemon curd, chocolate ganache, vanilla-flavored buttercream, Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter, and Nutella Chocolate spread.

44 Responses to Homemade Macarons

1. 4rmpartygirltoprayingwoman says:

Yum yum yum! These are my all time fave desert! I need to try this recipe asap. I have a place not far from me at all but it can get pricey.

Macaroons are one of my all time favorite cookies! I have never tried making my own, but you make it look easy enough that even I think I could make them without burning down my kitchen.

3. I’ve been a complete chicken to try making my own macarons because I’ve heard too many horror stories! So glad you have the hang of it!

4. I have try several Macarons but my favor is coconut so delicately sweet. You recipe is tempting me to try if I can make these Macarons myself…Will try!

5. julieiscocoandcocoa says:

I love macarons but haven’t made any at home yet. I’ll have to give your tips a try!

6. My favorites but if I knew how to make them, I’d be eating them all the time! However my daughter wants to learn how, so I’ll share your post with her.

7. Kait says:

These look delicious — I’m so envious! I’ve tried multiple times to make them with very little success. Yours look great!

8. These look great! I will have to make them for my family soon! Thank you for the recipe!

9. OMG i love macarons and i was looking for a nice recipie .Thank you so much for this

10. I can relate to two things when I generally do recipes: first try’s always a disaster look with mine and the other one would be salt as a miracle taste booster! Thanks for this one, it looks doable and delish.

11. I love macarons. They are so full of color and flavor. Looking forward to testing out this recipe.

I’ve never tried making them, but I assume the process is similar to making a meringue. I love macarons and I can eat a bunch of them in one sitting. If only they weren’t so pricey! I would like to try this recipe, thanks so much for sharing it!

13. I love macarons! You are brave to take them on. I’ve always been so intimidated. I’d be in trouble if I knew how to bake them LOL. 🙂

14. Liz Mays says:

This sounds simple enough! Macarons are the best but I’ve never tried making them myself!

Sounds like you perfected it. I love how you can have so many different flavors of these type of cookie.

16. There is something about macarons that feels so decadent. Can’t wait to make my own at home.

I’m not so sure that I’ll be able to make my own as good as you did but I’d be willing to try. It costs an arm and a leg to have them shipped to me from my favorite macaron store. We visited the official store in Paris and now I don’t even want to compare others. My daughter would love to try this.

18. I really love macaroons! I am going to have to try to make them at home soon!

19. My daughters just made macarons, it was very time consuming but they had alot of fun and were able to mix and match their colors.

20. Jessi says:

I love macaroons! Who doesn’t! I might have to make these this weekend! 🙂 Yummy! And easy directions to follow

21. Paula says:

I’m gluten free, so I’m a big fan of macaroons, but I’d never attempted to make them. My son likes to help bake, and he also loves macaroons, so I will put this on the list of things for us to try out. Yum!

22. victoria says:

These is absolutely looks delicious and a perfect dessert, I wish I can do this dessert

23. Nicole says:

I’ve missed macaroons, this is also my favorite!

24. Your macaroons looks fantastic! I wanna grab it from my screen!

OH my gosh these look so good! You make it look so easy. I am so nervous about trying these at home. But you have convinced me to give it a go!

26. Melissa Bernardo says:

Yum! I must admit, I have never had one of these!

27. I usually buy macarons instead of attempting to make them. I am not really good at baking stuff. I will share this recipe with my sister. She makes delicious baked goodies. She’d love to get her hands on this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

28. I have never even tasted a macaron. They always look so beautiful. I would love to try making them. They look so hard, lol!

29. I’ve never tried a macaroon. I have always thought they had coconut in them and I’m not a fan of coconut.

30. alexandria says:

My daughter requested macarons for her birthday party! We love watching cooking/baking shows together and on this kids one, they had to make some and then stack them. Now she always talks about them.

31. This is a wonderful recipe for macarons and I can’t believe it is so easy to duplicate right at home. My husband and my boys would love it if I made these for them over the weekend.

32. Eileen xo says:

My youngest not only loves to cook, she looks Macarons! Her bday is Saturday, I am making these for her as a special treat! They l
    ook amazing

33. RonRon says:

This looks yummy. Love to try this too. Awesome!

34. I don’t think I have ever had one of these – but I have seen them so often recently that I want to! Perhaps if I make my own I won’t need to find someplace that sells them!

35. I’ve never even considered making macarons but this makes it seem more achievable! Im going to have to give it a go!

36. Renée ♥ says:

Learning how to make macarons has been on my list for over a year. I love all the different flavors and colors that pop up on Pinterest.

37. adriana says:

Yum!! I never knew how to make macaroons but they’re so fun! The ones you can get IN Paris are my fav!

38. I always thought that macaroons would be super hard to make, but your recipe looks really simple and easy to do!

I never realized it was so difficult to make Macaroons but come to think of it they are quite fiddly to make. They look amazing though!

40. I LOVE that you kept trying until you got it right. Honestly, I don’t think I’d have the patience. The final product looks amazing.

41. CourtneyLynne says:

Omg how yummy?!?! Macaroons are seriously one of my favorite desserts. Definitely need to try making my own 🙂

42. Oh my gosh! We love macarons but I am still intimidated on making one. good thing you were able to try it out.

43. oooh! Delish! I’d eat the entire batch once it’s made 🙂