homesewn

Home Sewn: Projects and Inspiration for Every Room is by Cassandra Ellis

My first impression as I peruse the pages of Home Sewn is that it was a very well-designed book.

The photographs were inspirational and the images remind me of a comfortable cottage in the country or my Grandma’s homey abode.

As I scan through the pages to read the home sewn projects, I was captivated by the simplicity and practicality of the well-curated crafts.

img_9627

Creative, practical, and cute floor pillows.

My favorite would be the floor ottoman pillows. They look adorable yet the more I thought of it it is definitely a functional piece! I actually use two gigantic floor pillows in my living room. But I could use some more in the other rooms of my home!

Then there were these pillow book-ends. It was creative and definitely useful! Just like the author I find myself looking for coasters, utensils, or any heavy small object to keep papers and items in place whenever I am working on a project. The pillow book-ends will definitely be a handy tool in times like these.

img_9629

Practical and stylish ways to store fire logs.

The only caveat I see, which may disappoint quite a few readers, is that there is not enough detail or graphic instruction for the actual step-by-step process in the creation process.

This is a craft book, so the expectation is there will be more photographs with very helpful hints on how to put the pieces together. It would probably have been better to follow the format of a recipe book, but alas with the lack of details, it may just serve as an inspirational coffee table book.

img_9628

Lovely ideas for making quilts!

Perhaps the audience that the author, Cassandra Ellis, is targeting are the more experienced fabric makers. If this is the case, then she would have served her purpose. But still, the projects she selected are still very lovely and appear very simple to create. If anything it certainly gives a dose of creative inspiration to anyone who reads this book!

Book Title: Home Sewn: Projects and Inspiration for Every Room

Author: Cassandra Ellis

Synopsis: This beautiful craft book features distinctive sewing projects dedicated to living, resting, eating, and sharing. Use quality materials—from rustic linen to leather—to create simple ottomans, pendant light shades, a voile bed skirt, and more. With dreamy lifestyle photography and ideas for every room, Home Sewn is a keepsake for the modern maker.

31 Responses to Comfortable and practical projects with Home Sewn

1. Brandy Burke says:

Sounds like an inspirational book – sure wish I knew how to sew!

2. Seems like a great book. For someone who is not very crafty, this might be difficult but I think a lot of people could put it to great use.

3. Vicky says:

What an inspiring book with some beautiful photos. But you are right, the lack of detailed instructions can be frustrating.

4. Debra says:

The photos are beautiful! I am a detail person and totally need to have that to help me with my project.

5. This book looks really nice! I would love to have a home that gorgeous. It’s so inspiring to look at beautiful home to get ideas.

6. cvnxena says:

I haven’t heard of home sew before but sounds really cool, I love to get inspiration for the home and I am looking at moving soon too!

7. Rebecca says:

I haven’t heard of home sew before but sounds really cool I would love to have a home that gorgeous.

8. I would enjoy looking through the book. However, I can not even sew on a button so I agree that I would need DETAILED instructions. Or maybe even someone to just do the products for me!

9. The pictures look beautiful in the book. Love the different projects. Always looking for craft books for new projects.

10. taylermorrell says:

I would love to peruse that book…it looks like the pictures are beautiful

It sounds like they had a great idea going on with the book but it would really be better to have detailed instructions that will help a lot of people especially the beginners. It’s a cool book though!

12. terristeffes says:

I love books like these. I can pour over them for hours! I love studying past times. Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to order this!

13. This book sounds interesting and I would love to try some of these projects. It would have been nicer though, if the instructions were more detailed.

14. Dana Vento says:

I love those photos they’re so gorgeous and it’s so awesome book.

15. Stephanie says:

This sounds like a really interesting book with some fun projects. It’s nice to get new ideas for crafty projects, whether it’s sewing, knitting, etc.

I have not heard of home sewn before but the book looks rather exciting. I am always looking for new projects to take on as well!

17. Sarah White says:

This looks like a great book for those who know their way around a little bit, but still an awesome resource!

18. I am a terrible DIY-er so I definitely need step by step instructions. However, like you said, it does make a beautiful addition to any coffee table! 🙂 It looks like there is some awesome inspiration there.

I do not sew but my mother in law does…this would make a great Christmas present for her.

20. almostindianwife says:

This looks amazing! I know so many people that would love this as a holiday present this year! Maybe even a gift for myself! I love it!

21. Kim says:

I love books that pull creativity out! I need step by step instructions that are easy though. Great review!

22. Jena Proctor says:

This looks like a beautiful book to use for inspiration. The pictures are lovely. I can see one getting frustrated trying to carry out their ideas with no detailed instructions. That is unfortunate.

23. Jessica says:

I would definitely need some instructions. I can sew, but very basic sewing… I would never attempt something huge without knowing what I’m doing! I love all of the photos, though (and your photos!). They’re incredibly inspiring!

24. planningthemagic says:

Looks like a great book! I would get this just to look at the photos honestly.

25. Kori says:

I’ve always to try making more home sewn projects but I just don’t have the patience to do so! Pillows, I might have patience for but not much beyond that.

26. I made my friends quilted pillows in college one year and it was so much fun. I haven’t really sewn much since then, but I could see how this book could inspire me to make something for my own home.

27. I wish I had a talent for sewing. There are some great ideas and lota of inspiration to draw feom this book

28. Megan mccoig says:

I love books like this. Minimalistic pictures are my favourite and these are just that. I loce the designs. So nice.

29. CourtneyLynne says:

Ooooo this sounds like one great book to get you pumped and inspired!!!! I love books that spark creativity

This sounds like a really interesting book. I need to check it out and have some inspiration.

31. Reesa Lewandowski says:

Books that have a message to them are always my favorite. This one looks great!