In an earlier post I shared my Lemon Curd recipe and related how I was planning to make this delicious tangy custard as one of my DIY gifts for family and friends.

This is actually the first time I would be doing something like this, so I was a bit nervous. Now, after accomplishing the canning of 10 jars I feel quite accomplished. And truth be told I had the most fun doing it!

The difficult task was actually finding the right jars. I knew I wanted 3 to 4 ounces of square-shaped glass containers, but most of the ones I have seen are either circular or octagon in shape. Finally I found a vendor that carried them, and as a bonus they had gold metal lug caps that I thought was the perfect color! I purchased a small bulk and sterilized them at home.

20131226-102819.jpg

The next task was to create the labels.

I have been toying with the idea of creating my own. Initially I thought of ‘Cara’s Kitchen‘, but the phrase ‘Simple Sweets‘ was also on my mind. So I decided to use them together!

I also wanted to add a personal message to indicate my gifts are home made so I added, ‘goodies from our home to yours. always made with love‘.

It is quite funny (to me at least!) that when it came to choosing my label colors I still gravitate to my blog’s hues of black, white, lemon green, and turquoise blue. So why not use it again? After all the design has to encapsulate things that I adore!

20131226-102811.jpg

I designed a total of 4 prototype front labels and finally chose one done in the simple square.

Once I knew what the label shape, font, and colors were, I created the back label. This would contain information on how to enjoy the lemon curd.

20131226-102826.jpg

Then printed them up, hand cut them, and started placing them on the front and back of the jars! I thought they look cute. I sent a photo to my friend, Tet, as she was also busy designing her DIY tea holiday gifts. She messaged me back and thought they look good!

20131226-102855.jpg

I made the lemon curd a day early, so I got them out of the fridge and started placing them onto the jars. Voila! They are done! I placed them back in the refrigerator to keep them fresh until I was ready to wrap them up.

20131226-102907.jpg

Whenever I go to an event where I would see a family member or friend, I would take the lemon curd jar out of the fridge and wrap them up.

This DIY project was quite enjoyable! Now I know why crafters encourage creating your own gifts. I agree when they say it makes for a joyous and absolutely thoughtful moment, and certainly made with love!

How about you? Have you done any DIY gifts ? Let me know!

38 Responses to Packaging Up Lemon Curd

1. faconconnect says:

I love the way you wrapped the jars! Really cute! This is a really nice DIY.

2. robin masshole mommy says:

Those labels are absolutely PERFECT! Good for you – you clearly have an eye for things that are going to catch someone else’s 🙂

3. these labels and jars are so cute! What a wonderful idea. I have never had lemon curds before, but it sounds oddly delicious.

4. love the adorable jars and labels! Also, I have never heard of lemon curds, but looks delish.

Like, you need to open up a business and sell these for real. The lemon curd sounds amazing and your packaging and custom labels are super chic! I’ll take 5! Thanks…

6. I would so buy this and I know how to make the curd! Loving the packaging so much. Combining the name was a brilliant move.

7. Janel says:

What a creative gift. I bet your friends and family appreciate how much love and thought you put into making this gift. I know I would!

8. Divya Mathur says:

I’m not particularly good at DIY stuff, but this I could manage! What a cute idea 🙂

9. reesann723 says:

I love little bottles like these! Such beautiful gifts! They’d be great for a baby or bridal shower!

10. What an awesome gift! This would be perfect for mother’s day coming up! Saving now!

11. Debra says:

I would love a gift like this – that is so creative and different. I love unique gifts like that!

These are adorable! We have made homemade sugar hand scrub as teacher gifts.

13. meximoments says:

What an interesting recipe! Your labels and jars are so creative! Thanks for sharing!

14. What a useful post! I love the little labels you’ve made as well, proper creative & cute! xx

15. I made pillows for my friends in college, but I haven’t done anything DIY in years. I have thought about it though, as homemade gifts are so nice to give and receive.

16. I have never made lemon curd but i want to now! Thanks for the great idea!

I would love to receive these as gifts. They look beautiful and I love anything with lemon!

18. What a great gift idea. I did something like this for Christmas with mason Jars but add Hershey kisses. A lot of work and love goes into homemade gifts. I bet the lemon curd tastes great.

19. I love this idea. I also would love to try lemon curd. Lemon is my all time favourite so I have a feeling I’d LOVE this!

20. Kristin says:

Well I certainly would love to receive a jar of delicious lemon curd. Yours turned out so great and I bet it tastes so good!

21. Kit Stanwood says:

This is so cute!! what a great DIY! and I LOVE your labels! If your not already selling stuff at a farmers market you should be!

22. You were so right to go with square shaped jars. I think they turned out fantastic, Cara!

23. This is such a cute idea and that lemon curd looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

24. Amber Nelson says:

It looks delicious and you definitely make the presentation appealing as well.