My go-to Planner for 2017 is the Happy Planner

One of my popular posts in Stylish+Geek is called ‘Do It Yourself Planner‘.

It was difficult to find a single planner that allowed me to use it for specific things.

I needed something that can track and record my office tasks, home tasks, and even my creative and blogging business tasks. I would typically find three or four planners that could do this but never a single one.

But buying more than one planner won’t do. And I refuse to conform to the rigid structure of existing planners. A custom system, instead, would work well.

After researching how to make one, I wrote a post on creating your own planner from free resources, i.e. printables, schedules, calendars, etc. and utilizing the ARC disc system to put them together. It took some time to put it together since I had to print, collate the pages, and then put it in the ARC system. But overall the effort was well worth it.

However, before the end of 2016 I found a similar system from the company Me and My Big Ideas. They created a product that echoed my sentiments and the result is called the Happy Planner.

This planner uses a disc system, can customize pages depending on your use, and encourages creativity. As I looked into its versatility I started to get excited! It was EXACTLY what was looking for, and more!

I decided to go for it and use it as my go-to planner for 2017. And having used it for the months of December 2016 and January 2017, I am ever so glad I made that choice because I am loving it!

Here’s why:

(1) It is affordable….but with a coupon the savings are even better!

It can be less than $20! Yes…seriously! How cool is that, right?

The retail price of the planner is $29.99. You get the disc-bound system, an 18-month planner pages with monthly and weekly views, and really cool artwork dividers.

BUT, if you purchase it from Michaels Craft Store with their weekly 40%, 50%, and even 60% coupon deals, you can get this planner between $11.99to $17.99. Sweet, isn’t it?

The Happy Planner is customizable!

If you do not have Michaels Craft Store nearby, check it out in Amazon. They sell it for $18 (40% off retail)! Or Hobby Lobby and they often publish a 40% coupon!

(2) It is absolutely customizable.

The Happy Planner comes with the basic disc-bound system, monthly, and weekly calendar sheets. BUT because this is a disk system you can easily add pages that may suite you.

There’s the Budget planning, Fitness tracking, Recipe creating, Journal writing, and even pages for doodling! These are sold as add-ons.

But if you find nothing suits you, then go ahead and create some! I made a blogging and creative business tracker, brainstorming sheets, and coloring book pages from several free sites, like Coloring Pages for Adults.

The Happy Planner has a paper puncher (comes to around $18) you can purchase so making your own pages is so much easier. I continue to use my ARC system paper puncher (approximately $36) because it works just as well. The ARC system also can take a lot more paper. But both systems are awesome to use!

(3) It can be a Planner + Scrapbook + Gratitude Journal + More!

I have used my Happy Planner pages in may different ways. One of the reasons it is called a Happy Planner is because you make this system work for whatever you want, which makes you very happy!

One of the ways I use it for is scrap-booking. For example my entire week in Hong Kong and week in Taiwan is captured as a Travel Journal. I utilized the week pages to record everything I did, the places I saw, people I met, and food I tried. I included tickets and other memorabilia of my stay.

If I had other mementos I want to keep, such as our family Christmas card, I would also include it in my Happy Planner.

Stickers, Washi tape, and more make planning a lot more fun!

(4) The Sticker Method is addicting!

Stickers in my planner? Isn’t this kind of juvenile?

Not so. The Happy Planner stickers are pretty cool and very helpful. There are different varieties, from to-do lists, # of steps taken in a day, food/dining, travel, call to action, and many more. They are cute and they have a purpose!

I use mine to inspire me. I like it when the pages of my planner is attractive. If I have a work-out sticker on the page I would have a reminder of what I need to do for the week. My chores sticker motivates me to ‘cross out’ a specific housework task.

But I encourage you not to just go with the conventional stickers. There are so many things you can add to your planner using transparent tape and glue. I have cut out several inspiring images I see in a magazine and put it in there. Same thing with notes and cards I receive in the mail. There is no rule. Be creative as you want it to be!

(5) There are Planner Groups, Planner Conferences, and even Planner Blogs for extra resources, encouragement, and ideas.

Planner groups?!!!

YES! Seriously!

And they are encouraging, empowering, and absolutely fun!

Here are some of the groups and resources I have found:

Planner Communities:

The MAMBI Happy Planner Facebook Group

The MAMBI Happy Planner Divas Facebook Group

Happy Planner Society Shop and Swap Community

Planner Printables:

Happy Planner Free Printables

Me and My Big Ideas Happy Planner Printables

Pinterest compilation of Free Planner Stickers

Planner Conferences:

Wild for Planners Conference

Are you a Happy Planner user? What kinds of planners do you use? What are some of your tips to make it productive, creative, and fun?

100 Responses to Getting Happy with my Happy Planner

Michaels is a SAVIOR for their 40% off deals and I always try to get my items when I can save the most. Like with this planner! Love the stickers and how customizeable it is! That makes a major difference when keeping organized, right?

2. Marcie says:

I’ve never really understood planners but everyone seems to be talking about them I’m glad you found one that works for you!

3. This looks so cool! I really want a planner that I can customise myself and just fill with loads of stickers haha

4. This looks awesome. I love that it seems to be very customizable . I have been needing a new planner too so this is great

5. Janel says:

I bought my mini happy planner in December from Michaels on a huge sale they had. I love it, it is helping keep me on track and accountable. I don’t get why everyone uses all the stickers and wash tapes though, maybe I’m just not creative enough.

I hear ya! I made mine creative than usual because I realized it motivated me to use it. It also became a placeholder for any paper mementos I had, from tickets to notecards, etc.

6. Julie Porter says:

I heard so much about the Happy Planners at the beginning of this year when everyone was talking about what planner to buy. After reading this, I am in love! I have a Micheals near me and I’m going to have to get one the next time they have a coupon out!

7. Ana De-Jesus says:

Time to get myself a happy planner, especially since it is only $11.99 that is so cheap, especially for 18 months of content too xx

8. This planner has so many great options. I couldn’t believe how cheap it is either. That’s the type of planner that I need.

9. I have tried to do fun planners like this but then I am too busy styling them than actually writing plans in them. I wished I could use fun planners! Mine is pretty boring.

10. CoCo says:

Love how you personalized yours and used so many colors! I could definitely afford to step up my planner game!

11. Mandy @ A Cupful of Carters says:

I went through a planner craze and had to scale back. But this makes me want to get back into it.

It’s so nice that planners are a thing again! There are so many supplies and stickers these days to make your planner more personal!

13. planningthemagic says:

Your planner looks amazing. I’ve never gone so far to personalize a planner but I would love to.

14. kaitr27 says:

I love this planner! Even with technology today, I need something I can carry around with me everywhere and actually write notes on. If it is electronic, I always think I can do it later, but if it is pen and paper, I can jot it down right as I think of it. I love all those stickers too. Very cute!

15. Debra says:

What a fun customizable planner, I think it’s so much to make it your own. I love a good planner too!

16. Kelly Reci says:

I love planner so much that I can spend 2 planner a year!

17. I got so tired of going through flimsy planners that I bought a Rifle Paper Co. planner, but I’ll definitely have to keep this one in mind for next year. I love that price!

18. I don’t have a planner this year but I jot down what I want to do and accomplish on my notebook. This is very nice.

I love that this planner is customizable. Not everyone needs the same things when it comes to being organized.

20. Krystle Cook says:

I have always wanted one of these Happy Planners. They look like they would help me get my life together!

21. meximoments says:

I love my planner too, i bought mine from Michaels, but I went on etsy and found lots of fun stickers! Your looks great! thanks for sharing!

22. What a cool planner! I love that it can be so many different things and it’s still affordable!

23. bigfitfam says:

This planner looks like it does everything but drive your car! I have a planner but nothing like this….I think I need this one!

24. This planner idea looks like a great way to stay organized. I love my planner.

25. I love how detailed and cute you’ve made your HappyPlanner. My handwriting is horrible so I keep a digital planner.

26. cvnxena says:

I love this combo idea and as someone who likes to stay organised and scrapbook it’s nice I can have everything in one place! I will have to look into this!

27. This is my favorite planner for sure! I tried others but I found this one at Michaels a month or so ago and I agree, it’s fabulous!

28. Heather says:

I have heard so many great things about the Happy Planner! I have an Erin Condren Life Planner – but then I also have a bullet journal. It seems to work with my list making needs. And I LOVE stickers!

29. Lydia says:

This looks like such a great planner! I’ve never journaled but love to use a planner for organizing my life

30. reesann723 says:

I need to get this planner. I am so unhappy with the one I have right now! You sold me on the Happy Planner!

31. Kristin says:

I’m totally in the market for a new planner. I haven’t replaced my 2016 version yet. Eeek!

32. That’s a great price for a planner! They are usually so expensive. I’m currently working out of 3 planners at the moment. #planneraddict

33. Planner stickers are dope! I love how these cute stickers could make my planner not so boring. Happy for you that you found your Happy Planner!

34. I’ve got to pick one of these up. I’m a doodler so I’d love to make a happy planner with stickers.

35. Jalisa Marie says:

I love this post. I started to love planners towards the end of 2016. Totally something I would pickup.

36. I bought a regular discbound journal and absolutely love it. I got the punch and a few other things. It’s been the best journal/planner investment I’ve made in a long time!

37. I haven’t gotten into the decorating of my planner yet but I get why it is so popular. I like the idea of a customizable planner since so many on the market don’t allow you to make it your own.

38. almostindianwife says:

Ooh I’ve been seeing this planner around lately. A few of my blogging friends have it and said they love it! I need to get organized this year!

39. Our Family World says:

Planners are really cool! I enjoy writing on it.

40. As a military wife who could barely handle her busy schedule I am truly glad I came across your post. I love checking out new things, and the coupon is really a great discount! That was super stylish and cute too!

41. Jennifer Marx (JenuineMom) says:

This looks like a useful and FUN planner. I am a big fan of stickers. too! I want to try out this planner, too!

42. Akhil Sharma says:

You are so creative. I agree that planner is important; I should say “necessary” to make everything happen in a smooth flow.

43. Everyone is crazy about planners lately. This looks like a really good one. I will have to check it out.

44. I’m still trying to find my right planner. I went with EC this year and I don’t know how I feel about it yet. I think I probably need one that allows me to customize it to my needs.

45. Planners are so fun!!!! I got a new planner for chryand omg!!! Addicted to the thing!!!

46. Amber Nelson says:

This looks like a planner worth buying! This one looks like a lot of fun actually!

47. I am such a planner junkie. My trouble is, I need to stop BUYING planners, and actually use one to PLAN. I may have to check this one out, though. You know, just window shopping.

48. I’m always looking for the perfect planner and totally need to buy way more than just 1 to get everything I want. I can’t wait to check this out! I have a Michael’s right by where I live and this is so timely since I need to head there anyway! I love the many uses for just this one planner! I love it!

49. Karina Pacheco says:

I love the happy planner and Michaels! I always get my planner supplies at Michaels they offer great deals and there coupons always help a lot!

50. Planners are such a big thing this year. I’ve seen a lot of mommy friends with really nice planners that are almost artworks! I’m using the Starbucks planner for 2017.