Lemon Curd…ahhh yum!
This sweet tart filling is one of my favorite spreads during tea time. I love it with scones, toasts, and macarons.
And with my new found hobby in baking, I decided to do something personal this Holiday season by making my own Lemon Curd, packaging it, and giving it away to family and friends.
Here is my simple recipe to make this absolutely delectable custard!
- 1/2 cup of 6 to 7 freshly squeezed lemons (or lemon juice)
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
(1) In a non-heat inducing medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk.
(2) Gradually add and whisk the granulated sugar with the egg mixture.
(3) Using a 3 quart saucepan, heat the lemon juice and unsalted butter over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
(4) Very slowly pour in the hot lemon juice and butter into the egg and sugar mixture. Do this gradually and stir consistently with a whisk to avoid cooking the egg with the hot lemon juice.
(5) Place the entire mixture into an 8 quart saucepan and stir consistently (preferably with a wooden spoon or spatula) over medium heat. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan while mixture to avoid any cooking of the eggs.
(6) The curd should thicken in about 3 to 4 minutes. Keep stirring until the entire mixture is thick. Then remove the curd from the heat.
(7) Pour the curd over a glass bowl and use a strainer to remove any cooked egg. Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix until both are completely dissolved.
(8) Place a saran wrap over the curd, covering it completely. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
Let me know if you tried this recipe!