lemoncurd

Lemon Curd is awesome on toasts, scones, and cakes!

Lemon Curd…ahhh yum!

This sweet tart filling is one of my favorite spreads during tea time. I love it with scones, toasts, and macarons.

And with my new found hobby in baking, I decided to do something personal this Holiday season by making my own Lemon Curd, packaging it, and giving it away to family and friends.

Here is my simple recipe to make this absolutely delectable custard!

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 cup of 6 to 7 freshly squeezed lemons (or lemon juice)
  • 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 1 Large Egg Yolk
  • 1/8 teaspoon of salt

DIRECTIONS:

(1) In a non-heat inducing medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk.

20131222-204920.jpg

(2) Gradually add and whisk the granulated sugar with the egg mixture.

20131222-204939.jpg

(3) Using a 3 quart saucepan, heat the lemon juice and unsalted butter over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.

20131222-204930.jpg

(4) Very slowly pour in the hot lemon juice and butter into the egg and sugar mixture. Do this gradually and stir consistently with a whisk to avoid cooking the egg with the hot lemon juice.

20131222-205009.jpg

(5) Place the entire mixture into an 8 quart saucepan and stir consistently (preferably with a wooden spoon or spatula) over medium heat. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan while mixture to avoid any cooking of the eggs.

20131222-205020.jpg

(6) The curd should thicken in about 3 to 4 minutes. Keep stirring until the entire mixture is thick. Then remove the curd from the heat.

20131222-205030.jpg

(7) Pour the curd over a glass bowl and use a strainer to remove any cooked egg. Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix until both are completely dissolved.

20131222-205048.jpg

(8) Place a saran wrap over the curd, covering it completely. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.

20131222-205105.jpg

Let me know if you tried this recipe!

66 Responses to Lemon Curd

1. robin masshole mommy says:

Mmmmm, lemon curd is one of my favorites!!!! I love your step-by-step instructions!!

You explain the process of making this lemon curd SO well! Your basic descriptions along with the photos makes me feel brave enough to tackle all the mixing and temps and being successful at it! Thanks!

3. Melissa says:

Lemon curd is something I have never tried but you make it seem easy to do even though I know it isn’t but I think my kids would love tis dessert

4. Oh wow this looks delicious. Does it taste like pudding or a custard? I actually have all the ingredients I could make this right now

5. I love lemon curd! I love it on top of sweet biscuits, toast, cinnamon bagels, and on a spoon by itself!

6. Heather says:

I’ve never tried making lemon curd, but your instructions make it seem totally doable! Thanks for the great tutorial!

7. Debra says:

This would be such a fun middle for a cake. I really love lemon this time of year.

8. I am not entirely sure that I have ever eaten lemon curd, but it sure does sound good. I will have to try this recipe out.

9. Belle says:

Oooh! That looks amazing! I love a good lemon curd. I will be bookmarking this for future use!

Belle | One Awesome Momma

10. dananicoledesigns says:

I’ve been coming across lots of lemony treats the past few weeks – it must be spring soon! Lemon is my FAVE. Totally going to make this in the future!!

11. I love lemon curd – I mean who doesn’t! This looks like a really simple recipe too, gotta bookmark it for next time we’re making a pudding x

12. This looks so delicious! I love all things lemon and will have to try to make this soon!

13. Marcie says:

OMG Lemon curd is one of my favorite parts of Afternoon Tea! I love how much flavor it has! Definitely going to attempt to make this!

14. I have always heard of lemon curb but been turned off by the name…This is looks pretty fantastic though! And I am on a lemon kick lately so I may have to give this a try! bookmarking for later 😉

15. Rimsha says:

Oooh! Never thought I could make my own. You makeit look so easy. Will try it out 🙂

16. Ana De-Jesus says:

People used to find it weird that I liked lemon curd but I always loved the tart flavour. Never tried making it myself but I am looking forward to trying now1

17. OMG..I literally drooling while scrolling down this post! It’s so appealing to the eyes and certainly the taste is divine. I will eat this even with a bread more like a jam.

18. Ok I have to say that I know people LOVE this stuff but it’s something I’ve hated since I was a child. Too many memories of lemon curd from school and family gatherings. Hate the stuff. Looks amazing, but blergh.

19. Oh yum! This looks amazing! I would love to try this! My kids are always asking for me to make some new desserts. This is definitely on the list!

20. I love your easy and lovely visual of the step by step instructions on how to make lemon curd! This is perfect for gifts for family and friends!

21. Rose's Daughter says:

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve been looking for an easy recipe for lemon curd for a while now. Can’t wait to try it.

22. evakidminds says:

Love, love, LOVE lemon curd and the homemade version is the best. I haven’t done it in ages though because it takes such a long time to separate eggs and squeeze the lemon juice.

23. Jeanine says:

Oh yum. I will need to make this asap! I love everything lemon especially lemon curd but havent ever made it myself! This sounds amazing!

24. This is great! I have not made lemon curd in ages, but I am going to give this a try!!

25. Kit Stanwood says:

Wow I never thought about putting anything on top of scones or macaroons!!! I’m new to macaroons but I can see that being delicious!!! Thanks for the tip!

26. Lydia says:

I LOVE lemon curd. Putting it on scones or biscuits is my favorite, yummy!

27. Heather says:

This looks so easy to make. And I love that! What a tasty and light dessert to go with a great Easter brunch spread.

28. asseenonjean says:

I love lemon curd but have never thought about making it. After reading your recipe though, I really want to! Its very tasty and love it on scones. Yum!

29. amber says:

I would love to host a ladies tea sometime this spring so this is the perfect recipe for me to stumble across! Thank you so much for sharing it, can’t wait to come back and tell you how it went!

30. I absolutely love a well made lemon curd! I could literally just eat it with a spoon! I’ll definitely have to try this recipe!

31. Omg can we say yum?!? I just love all things lemon! I must give this a try

32. Karina Pacheco says:

I’ve never tried lemon curd. But now I want to make some. Plus you made it look so easy to make, now I have to try 🙂

33. Stephanie says:

I had no idea it was possible to make this at home! Thanks for the simple and easy to follow instructions. Lemon desserts are my fave!